Section 12: Horticulture
Conditions of entry
- All exhibits to be staged by 8.30 am.
- Exhibition containers supplied for cut flowers only. All cut flowers become the property of the society.
- All exhibits must be grown by entrant. Fruit and vegetables must be in a carton and suitably labelled.
- All fruit and vegetables must be cut by entrant prior to display.
- Entries judged by RAS rules.
- ENTRIES BY PHONE
26. Any display
27. Blacktown Rose Championship consists of:
3 Exhibition Roses, Distinct
1 Vase of Bunch Roses,
3 Stems, same variety,
and any 1 of the following:
1 Vase Floribunda consisting of 1-6 stems, or
1 Vase Floribunda consisting of 10-25 florets, or
Bud to full bloom 4 stages, or
Vase of decorative roses, 3 stems same variety
NOTE: Class 27 awarded Rose Championship Ribbon
28. 3 Exhibition Roses, Distinct
29. 3 Exhibition Roses, Any Color
30. 1 Exhibition Rose
31. 1 Vase Decorative Roses, three cuts, 1 cultivar
32. 1 Vase Roses, ‘Bud to Full Bloom’, 4 stages, bud to show color
33. 1 Vase Roses, Floribunda, 1 to 6 cuts
34. Standard Unit, any other type
35. 1 Vase Roses, Miniature, 3 cuts, 1, 2 or 3 cultivars
36. 1 Vase of flower/s, 3 blooms or cuts, NND
37. 1 Vase of flower/s, 1 bloom or cut.
PLANTS IN CONTAINERS NOT EXCEEDING 250mm
Foliage not to exceed 40cm diameter
38. 1 container of Fern or Ferns
39. 1 container of Foliage Plant or Plants
40. 1 container of Flowering Plant or Plants
41. Collection of 3 to 6 Cacti in Individual Pots
42. Collection of 3 to 6 Succulents in Individual Pots
FLORAL DESIGN (Width 16”-41cm, Height 21”-54cm)
43. Float bowl
44. Any festive arrangement
45. Reflection in a mirror
46. Any other floral arrangement
47. Modern arrangement with branches or foliage
48. Basket arrangement
49. Any Native floral/foliage arrangement
50 Any Variety
FRUIT and VEGETABLES and HERBS
51. Any seasonal vegetable, collection of 3
52. Collection of three different herbs in single container
53. People with disabilities
Blacktown Council Awards $50.00
Best exhibit class 26
Best exhibit class 27 – Rose Championship Ribbon
Best exhibit class 28-35
Best exhibit class 36-37
Best exhibit class 38-42
Best Exhibit class 43-49
Best Exhibit class 50
Best Exhibit class 51-53
DAHLIA SOCIETY OF N.S W. and A. C. T. Standards and Classifications will apply to Dahlia section. Staged Dahlia blooms should be carried by stems 160mm clear of the container.Unless otherwise stated blooms 160mm and over are to be staged one bloom per vase, and blooms under 160mm are to be staged three per vase. A Standard Unit is a vase of the same cultivar.
DAHLIA SIZES:Giant- 260mm and over, Large – over 210mm and under 260mm, Medium – 160mm & under 210mm, Small – 120mm & under 160mm, Miniature – under 120mm, These sizes apply to Formal and Informal Decoratives, Semi-Decorative, Cactus and Semi-Cactus, Exhibition Cactus and Fimbriated Cactus. For Waterlily, Collerette, Anemone, Orchid, Stellar and Single types, the ‘Medium’ size determination applies, I.e. 160mm & under 210mm. Ball type shall be either ‘Small’ or ‘Miniature’.
Pompon types should be under 50mm. ROSE SOCIETY OF N.S.W. Standards and Classifications will apply to Rose Section. ROYAL HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY OF NEW SOUTH WALES Standards and Classifications will apply to Miscellaneous Flowers, Plants in Containers and Floral Design.
SPECIAL PRIZES: The Samuel Perpetual Award for Best Exhibit of Show. First and Second prize cards to be awarded, where standard of exhibit warrants such awards.
A Special Prize will be awarded by the Society to the exhibitor, not being a nursery person, who is the most successful in the Horticulture Section of the Show. A Special Sash and a trophy will be awarded to the most successful exhibitor in the Dahlia Section, the Rose Section, the Plants in Containers Section, and the Floral Design Section.
The Dahlia Society of NSW and ACT Medallion and a Blacktown A. H. & I. Society Special Sash will be awarded to the exhibitor displaying the Champion Dahlia unit. Distinct means DIFFERENT. / N.N.D. means Not Necessarily Distinct. Entry fee in all classes $1.00. One gate pass for an exhibitor that has entry fees of $10.00 or more.
Any exhibitor who wins prize money of $50.00 or more may be required to sign a declaration stating that the section in which the prize money is won is a hobby related activity and not for financial gain otherwise, and in accordance with ATO ruling, a 40% withholding tax could be applied.